Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Great and Grand



The lady you see above is someone who means so much to me. Her name is Carrie Bell Slaughter, aka Grannie. She was my great grandmother. I pretty much was with her for most of my life. She raised me from being a little boy to the man you see today. She is someone that I didn't just see as family, she was also my closest friend.

She lived with my family ever since my great grandfather passed away in 1998. She was by far the best cook I have ever been around (sorry Mom). She had so many recipes that she knew about that she didn't have to look at a cookbook. I always loved when she cooked breakfast because that was when I was able to help her out. Okay, so it wasn't every time but it was close enough.

She also had a heart of gold. She was such a nice and helpful woman. I never knew of a person who was willing to help you out no matter what the situation was. If she was able to, she would be there for you. Even she was getting older and couldn't do the stuff that use to do, she would always still try to get up and do something.

Sadly, she is no longer on this earth. She passed away about three years ago from Alzheimer's disease. Even though that she had it, you can still tell that she remember somethings. There were plenty of moments when I tried to cook her something to eat, and she wouldn't eat it because it wasn't up to her standard. That was when I knew she was still there. Then there were other times when I would talk to her, and she would have no idea who I was. I will be honest with ya. Those moments break my heart. I knew it wasn't her fault, but yet I wish she still could remember.

I remember the morning of the day she passed away. I was heading to work, and I went to her room to see her before I left. I gave her a hug and kiss (like usual). Just before I left, she said something to me that I will remember for the rest of my life. She told me, "I raised to two great young men." She was talking about my brother, Ryan, and me. I smiled when she said that, but it didn't think that would be the last thing she would ever say to me.

When I learned that she had passed away, I broke down. I knew that any day it could happen, but it didn't want it to. She was my grannie. My best friend. I never wanted her to leave my side. I know that she was family to every one, and she was special to all of us in the family. I will have to say though that I felt that she was only MY grannie. I was loved her so much (and still do to this day). I am just glad to know that she is not hurting anymore.

I want people to know that someone like my great grandmother only comes once in a lifetime. She was someone I know I will never be able to meet again. I just hope she knows that she was such a big influence in my life, and I thank her so much for everything she has done. I hope that when my time comes, I can come somewhere as close of a great and grand person that she was. I love and miss you Grannie.

This post was inspired by a blog post by Lara Parker, editor for Buzzfeed, called On Being Left Behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template by Pink + Lola